- Commit to spending 15% of overall company revenues with local M/WBE and DBE subcontractors and vendors.
Year Three Progress: Southway met our goal by spending over 17% of overall company revenues with local M/WBE and DBE subcontractors and vendors.
Year Four Progress: No Update.
- Participate in BLocal BUILD College in 2018.
Year Three Progress: The fall Cohort of the BUILD College did not proceed. Southway plans to participate in 2019.
Year Four Progress: No update.
- Volunteer 80 hours in 2018.
Year Three Progress: Southway team members volunteered 114 hours in 2018 by completing two volunteer efforts in 2018, exceeding the committed volunteer hours. Employees performed a service day in late spring at The Loading Dock. Team members helped organize materials and clean up the yard in a “sweat equity” event. In the fall, Southway team members also participated in a packing session at the Baltimore Hunger Project. Team members participated in packing and sorting non-perishable food items into individual packages that will be delivered to local schools.
Year Four Progress: No Update.
- Develop a written in-house program by which local subcontractors can be connected with City residents as potential job candidates on Southway construction projects. Southway has built a great relationship with Project JumpStart, and has been successful in being a conduit for JumpStart graduates to be accepted into entry-level positions with key subcontractors. This has taken place on several projects loosely, but will be developed into a written program that can be incorporated into every Southway project.
Year Three Progress: Southway developed the in-house program as indicated, and has implemented the program starting with residential tenant in place renovation work, where the need for labor is high and entry-level positions are available and needed.
Year Four Progress: In 2019, Southway Builders were able to connect ten local individuals with new jobs on Baltimore City based projects.
- Hire a Cristo Rey student intern for the 2018/2019 school year
Year Three Progress: Southway had a senior from Cristo Rey join us for the school year and assist in various office and preconstruction duties.
Year Four Progress: We hired one intern from Cristo Rey in 2019.
- Sponsor one (1) Urban Alliance Student in 2018.
Year Three Progress: Southway sponsored one Urban Alliance student in 2018.
Year Four Progress: We sponsored one student intern from Urban Alliance in 2019.
- Sponsor one (1) YouthWorks Student in 2018.
Year Three Progress: Southway sponsored two YouthWorks students in 2018.
Year Four Progress: Southway sponsored one YouthWorks student in 2019.
Southway is a construction management firm serving public, private and non-profit clients throughout the Mid-Atlantic. What started as a vision to provide quality construction services for affordable housing developers, has grown into a sought-after construction management firm built on integrity. Founded in 1991, Southway delivers award-winning historic restoration, commercial, multi-family, adaptive re-use and institutional projects. Headquartered in Baltimore’s Locust Point, our firm is strongly rooted in the communities in which we serve.
While we have grown in size and expertise, our culture of Quality, Dependability and Integrity has remained steadfast. Our executive leadership team continues to provide hands-on involvement at every step in the project. Our technology, systems, and processes parallel those of national-sized firms – and our reputation is irrefutable as evidenced by our clients’ praise and repeat business.
With a staff of over 60 full-time professionals, Southway has managed over 1 million square feet in commercial projects and 1,500 multifamily units constructed in just the past 3 years alone, all with an outstanding safety record. We have received the highest achievable Diamond Safety Award from ABC Baltimore five years running and consistently maintain one of the lowest EMRs in our industry. The cornerstone of Southway’s success is our unwavering commitment to customer service.
Southway Builders joined BLocal during year three of the initiative. Southway Builders will report on progress in 2019.